Friday, June 22, 2007

The names Barry McKenzie, but friends call I "Bazza"

Excuse I, if I offend any of the Ol Aussies out thea, but pals I came across this "drongo" of a book, a sort of cant-put-it-downer, outrageously funny in a wierdly gross sense, titled The Wonderful World of Barry McKenzie, written by an Aussie author Barry Humphries, and DRAWN by Nicholas Garland. Yes, Drawn by..its a comic book, why else do u think I picked up an Aussie book in the first place (esp. of an author unknown to me), it had to be special in some way. So, there it was, with a funny big chinned Aussie, see pic, Barry McKenzie, in his funny not-so-sober English, visiting England, for the first time, oh what a situation. Well I found it more like a Aussie slang crash course. Its quite obscene in some places, places when our guy wants to empty his bladder overflowing with beer, which occurs like after every few minutes, cos he just cant get enough of 'Freezing Tubes of FOSTERS'. For him, doing that is 'straining the potatoes' 'splash the boots' 'shake hands with the wife's best friend (pun intended)' etc.. and he wont mind letting it out on the roadside if a lavatory which for him means a 'snakes house', utensil" etc. etc. was unavailable. A lass is a 'Shiela' and anything good is 'flamin', n if he doesnt like ur ways(or 'coming a RAW PRAWN' with him), he'll "Flatten you". He has an identical twin brother who is a preacher, who ends up in jail mistaken as Bazza and our Bazza ends up giving his brothers most important sermon (using the pretty lingo that he's got!!). So typical hindi movie climax...lol. Bye the bye, our guy was apparently being jailed for PUKING ALL OVER ENGLAND!! He actually revolutionises the puking and brand names such as 'CHUNDERING', Technicolor Yawn', 'Yellow Tornado' and 'buckets full of Hockney Lithographs' are given to the not-so-pleasant vomit. GROSS!! but yet funny in a way. I wouldnt compel you to read it or even suggest it, but you might as well enjoy it, but with a word of Caution, Its not for the Weak-Hearted, Its crossed all limits at gross-ness. Hope you've , however, added all those colourful words to ur vocab. And you wont spare a chance at FLATTENING a pommy drongo who goes RAW PRAWNS with you and drown him in a Technicolour yawn if he doesnt stock your (now on) flamin' favourite freezing FOSTERS tubes.

2 comments:

Nikhil said...

Baap re...gajjab angreji hegi ais kudi di!! :O
Lage rho..hum seekh rhen hain!!

? said...

Hello,

I'm glad I came by this blog and from reading it suddenly there is a feeling of vastness, of connection, and I dissolve into it. What an interesting post. I think you have just gained yourself a reader or follower in the parlance of blogging.

Also, I see you are a salmon rushdie fan as well. I'm reading presently one of his books, the satanic verses, have you completed it and what do you think of it?

I would like to return here if you do feel a counter visit is worth a bit of your time considering our individual deadlines?

My compliments.